When I was a kid, if we wanted electronic entertainment we had this:
Or possibly, if you did your chores and earned a roll of quarters, this
But that wasn't until the 80's. Before that, mostly what we had were a couple of bikes, and the entire world to fill with our imagination. Oh, sure, I had a Barbie Dream house, and a few dolls, some board games (my favorite was Charlie's Angels) and the complete set of Little House on the Prarie books, but those were for rainy days. Because when I was a kid, if it was summer and the sun was out, your little ass was outside. Period. You got breakfast and went outside. You were expected in for lunch, and then you went right back out till your mom hollered you home for dinner. If you were inside, it meant you were grounded, and that was always the worst. There was none of this going out for ten minutes and then coming back in for a snack, or to whine about how hot it was, or how bored you were, or to tattle on your sister because she said you were short and now the whole world is ending...and if you went through the house screaming for your mother you had by-god better have been bleeding massively from some sort of wound, because there was no other excuse for screaming like a banshee. Our mothers knew what was what, and at least mine wasn't afraid to chase you out of the house with a broom if that's what it took.
Mostly, the whole neighborhood (at least the parts we could reach on foot or by bike) was our playground, and the things we found were our toys. If I wanted to play house, I drew a fricking house in the dirt and furnished it with whatever I could find. We climbed trees and caught frogs and played hide and seek. And since we were pretty well unsupervised, we did a bunch of crazy shit that would send mothers today (and who knows, perhaps even the broom wielding "are you bleeding? No? Get back outside!" moms of the past) into headspins.
Like, one summer when we lived in the woods in South Carolina we found a couple of old, rusted out oil drums laying along a path through the trees that ran behind our little row of houses. Now that was seriously cool. Tip those suckers on their sides, watch out for the holes when you put your feet on them, and off you go rolling them along by running on top of them. It took patience, a lot of falls, and a lot of balance to get those drums rolling, but once they were moving? It was like flying!
image by <a href="http://stockarch.com/images/objects/rusted-oil-drum-2793" target="_blank">voodoostock - stockarch.com</a>
We didn't have "playdates" or need to make an appointment to see our friends. You ran with whoever was around in the neighborhood (whether you really liked them or not.) Which was mostly everybody who lived in your neighborhood, because kids weren't so flipping overscheduled in the summer time back then. You walked or rode your bike, knocked on the door, and there you were. Your friend had to do some chores before he could come out and play? Guess what? You freaking helped her so that you both could get to play that much faster. It wasn't about being nice, either, it just...was.
We did stuff. We built a raft and sailed it down a stream, and built a fire and roasted marshmellows and hot dogs over it. When I was twelve. And never mind that the stream was chained off and said "no trespassing." We jumped off the roof of the garage into beanbag chairs, walked along the tops of 6 ft. high fences. We played flashlight tag at twilight, told each other ghost stories until we were so freaked out we stayed awake for days, we invented games and stared at the clouds and counted the blades of grass in the lawn. We poked sticks at wasps nests and played kickball in the street, because back then cars would actually slow down for you.
What we learned was risk management. We figured out what was really fun and what was just plain stupid. Fun? Flying through the air from the roof to the beanbag chair. Stupid? Having rock fights using metal garbage can lids as shields.
Me, calling my mother at work one afternoon: "Mom? I think you might want to come home. I got the bleeding stopped (with your new white towels, btw), but I'm preetty sure he's gonna need stiches in his head..."
My brother: "It was my fault, Mom, I forgot to duck."
Mostly we learned judgement, and gained experience. If I do this, that will happen. Maybe I shouldn't do "this" next time. We learned how to get along with others without having to tattle (you know what I never hear anymore, that I heard all the time when I was a kid? "Nobody likes a tattletale...") We figured out, through trial and error, what to believe and what not to believe (when I was 8, a friend told me that the milk in milkweed was poisonous and if you drank it you would die, the day after I actually tasted it. I waited a week to die before I got distracted by some other method someone said would kill me.) We went out everyday to conquer the world and came home every night to eat and sleep and start it all over again.
Kids today aren't overstimulated by all their tv time and video games and electronic this and scheduled that. They're understimulated. It's about the imagination, and relating, and endless summer days that beg to be filled...by something other than Mom and the great god of electricity. So, maybe tomorrow, when I hear the whining and bickering start, I should chase them out with a broom, and lock the doors to see that they stay out.



I had the same childhood! It was wonderful, and I am so sad that our kids don't get the opportunities we had to learn from our mistakes, get our knees scraped once in a while, and make memories with people instead of some form of electronics involved.
ReplyDeleteI know! Yet I'm the mom who gets the "hairy eyeball" for letting the daughters walk to school without me...and the school is at the other end of our street, lol. If I could be any age again, it would be 11 or 12, but from then, not now.
Deletetzkw
It's weird how things have changed about letting kids go places by themselves. When I was in 5th/6th grade, I used to ride my bike to that school too...and I had to cross a busy road just to get to where your house is now! I survived just fine :)
DeleteTwo thumbs up! Summers were so cool back then...and they seemed to last forever!!
ReplyDeleteNo fair! I wasn't allowed to play flashlight tag. I had to be home when the streetlights came on!! :(:(
Tiffany, when I was in the 6th grade I lived in a big city in CA. Had to take two crosstown buses to get to and from school, transfers and all. :)
DeleteWe should make a "playdate" so you can get a chance to play flashlight tag!
Did you live in my neighborhood? You must have.
ReplyDeleteOne of the other most memorabel things is the sports. Every kid in the neighborhood, regardless of skill level, played sports nearly every day. The sport was of course the one of the season, football, basketball, basebell, hockey, soccer....alll of them. We looked forward to our pickup games every day and we played as hard as we could.
We playted tackle football (falls into the "stupic" catagory above), we played basketball in the pouring rain, we played until Mom called for dinner and then afterwards we would play until dark. Even after dark as soon as the Marikos's put up lights on thier basketball court.
Sometimes our parents would watch and cheer, but most of the time we were on our own for hours and hours. Imagine what benefits were derrived from this activity over the years! It was the healthiest most productive time of most our our lives.
Oh my gosh yes! 2 on 2 and street hockey, but my favorite was always some form of baseball. Even if there weren't enough kids around for a full game, we spent many, many days playing pickle. Or just my brother and a neighbor and I, playing three way catch until it got so dark all you could see was the moonlight reflecting off the white ball. Nothing beats the feeling of that ball thwacking into a well loved glove. Catch, release, throw again, over and over as the crickets sing and the fireflies come out...
DeleteSigh...What crazy good times I had. My best friend and I carried an old discarded rug out into the woods and made a "fort". My brother and I borrowed "scraps" (were they really ?)from a nearby construction site and built a go-cart.
ReplyDeleteMy children also did most of the things you and I remember, including cutting through acres of woods to get to Main St. and the local convenience store for candy or a popsicle.
Fastforward - none of them would allow their own children to do those things - wrong neighborhood, too much traffic, fear of injury or abduction, etc, etc.... There are times I really feel sad for my grandchildren. And yes, they constantly moan (despite having videos, games, every piece of electronics known to man) that they "have nothing to do".